Thursday, May 03, 2007

Worth sharing


I received this in an email. Wanted to share.
This is a letter from a child to a parent!



Remember...that I am a gift from God, the richest of all blessings.Do not attempt to mold me in your image, my daddy's, my brother's, or our neighbor's. I am an individual and should be permitted to be myself.

Remember...not to crush my spirit when I fail. Don't compare me with others who outshine me.

Remember...that anger and hostility are natural emotions.Help me to find outlets for these normal feelings-in play or physical exercise-or else they may be turned inward and may become much deeper and much more serious.

Remember...to discipline me with firmness and reason. Do not let your anger throw you off balance. If I know you are fair, you will not lose my respect or my love.

Remember...that each child needs two parents. When you side with me against Daddy, I have feelings of guilt, confusion and insecurity.

Remember...not to hand me everything my little heart desires. Otherwise I will never know the thrill of earning, the joy of deserving.

Remember...not to make threats in anger, or impossible promises when you are in a generous mood. To me your word means everything. When I can't believe in you and Dad, I have difficulty believing in anything.

Remember...that there is dignity in hard work, whether it is performed with calloused hands that shovel coal or skilled fingers that manipulate surgical instruments. Let me know that a useful life is a blessed one, and that a life of ease and pleasure-seeking is empty and meaningless.

Remember...not to try to protect me from every small blow and disappointment. Adversity strengthens character and makes us compassionate. Trouble is the great equalizer; let me learn it.

Remember...to teach me to love God and our fellow men. And, Mommy, please don't send me to worship service and Bible school-take me there.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Nikki! You have a beautiful family!! And I was telling my hubby that you look like one of the KIDS!! I'm jealous..you look terrific!
I'm so glad you had a picture made of your bunch...it's so nice to have faces to go with names!
How old are all yours again?