Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Trusting God in Everything

Have you given everything over to God? Do you trust Him with everything?

I have had to ask myself this question lately. You see, this is my 11th year homeschooling. I guess every once in a while I go thru this phase and re-examine what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. So, I've had to step back and take a look at what I've been doing lately.

When I did that, I started to doubt my abilities...doubt what I've been doing and if I change how I schooled, would my kids turn out ok.

You see, as homeschoolers, how my children turn out is my responsibility right?

Boy was I WRONG!!! Its God doing the work NOT ME!!!!

I know best how my children learn and I have to notice signs of things changing. Each one of my children are different kinds of learners so there is not ONE curriculum that will work across the board for each child. I was not creating a love of learning in my kids...they were hating school. Well, I decided to change that. We took a different approach and the atmosphere in the house seemed to change. No, its not the traditional curriculum. We take an eclectic approach really. For example, for Bible today, the kids are playing a PS2 game called The Bible game.
For History, they picked a country they want to learn about...something that interests them. THen from Blockbusteronline, I ordered two dvd's about their countries.
Same thing for Science...and for math...regular switched on schoolhouse for that. Angel and Tony have a dvd for Italian, they want to learn Italian words...They will use their own blog to work on grammar and sentence structure...What better way to learn than to write everyday!!

For Phys Ed, they chart daily at least 15 minutes of exercise. It could be a walk, or dancing to Veggie Tales...or Radio Disney...doensn't matter. But they love doing that.
Add in this wonderful site I found online.
http://oldfashionededucation.com/index.html

Very very thorough!!!!!! I will use this too. Especially for some of the extra things I want them to learn.

This day and age, kids don't just need workbooks to learn. Are we trying to stick our children full of facts for a test only for them to pass and not remember what they learned or care about it at all? That isn't what I want...

I want my children to care about our world that we live in.

I want my children to be faithful Christians.

I want my kids to care about other people.

I want my kids to have the TOOLS to learn so that someday, when they want to know how to do something, they have the TOOLS to learn it!!

I want my kids to have dreams and to follow them.

Guess what!!! They have already succeeded!!

Its God and only God that gets the glory for this. He has created in these kids to be the people HE wants them to be.

Be Blessed,
Nikki

No comments: